In 1825, when Plymouth was newly established, educational classes were held in the cabins of early settlers.
First School House
The first school house was built of logs and located on Plymouth Road across from Riverside Cemetery.
In 1830 a wooden-frame school building was built for boys only!
In 1853 Mr. Ebenezer Penniman donated his Seminary School building, again a boys-only school, to the Plymouth Village on the condition that girls be allowed to attend school too.
Women’s sewing circle gathered in front of a Plymouth residence.
The problem of a co-ed school, which was unheard of at the time, was solved by having boys use the first floor and girls use the second floor - with separate entrances. The first class to graduate from the high school was in 1881.